Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Puppies are Here!!!!


At 9:30 on Monday night Hazel delivered her first puppy, a black male.  We think it was very fitting that Hazel deliver her first puppy in the middle of the NAAC national championship game!  We are huge college basketball fans, and love the game of basketball!  She also may have heard we are planning to give each puppy a college mascot nickname to try and keep the puppies separate.  The kids are still making final decisions on names, but we feel like their really has to be a "Will" for "Will D. Cat", Villanova's mascot.  

She continued to deliver one puppy after another in a very timely manner.  At 5:00 a.m. she had a completed litter of 8.  So we thought!  Hazel slept most of the morning away and around noon, we decided it was time for the new mama to go for a little walk and have some lunch.  She ate all her food in her dish, walked around the yard a bit, and proceeded to hop back in her whelping box and deliver a "bonus puppy"!  We couldn't believe it...almost 7 hours after the last puppy and 16 hours after the first.  16 hours of labor...that girl deserves an award!  We were so excited!  
 Hazel is doing well and so are all 9 of her little blessings.  They are all about the same size right now.  We don't have any visibly smaller or larger than all the rest.  We look forward to watching them all grow and develop personalities of their own!
 For now, I will leave you with one of my favorite pictures of the night.  I absolutely love it when the puppies do this!  Maybe because it reminds me of when my newborns would quiet as soon as I would nuzzle them up close in my neck.  I don't know.  I just think it is so sweet!