Sunday, May 7, 2017

Lilly's Birth Story

According to our calculations Lilly was due on May 8, but according to her she had a different plan. On Thursday May, 4 she started to get restless but really didn't get me too alarmed.  My wife took the dogs for a run in the afternoon, and we went through the normal evening routine.  I noticed at suppertime she didn't have much of an appetite, but there again I wasn't too alarmed.  Usually after feeding I put them in the back of the pickup (that's there home on wheels) but decided to put Lilly in the shed.  Typically they'll hand out in the back of the pickup until 10:30 or so when I go to bed and then I'll put them in the shed for the night. It's a good thing I didn't stick with the routine on this evening.   Around 10:15, my wife came in and woke me up and asked if I was going to check the dogs, and part of me was pretty content. I debated whether or not I fall right back to sleep, but ultimately got up and let the dogs out and went in and check on Lilly.  In the chaos of the moment the 3 other dogs ran in the shed to investigate before I had even realized that Lilly's first pup was already welcomed into the world by Lilly and her 3 closest family members. I quickly scooted the other 3 out the door, put them back in the truck and ran in the house.   Robyn and Gracyn were laying in bed, and both knew something was up.  Much to their surprise we had puppies on the way. From there on the delivery went smoothly and rather consistently.   I estimated the time of arrival of the first female at about 9:45 pm.  She was and still is the largest pup!  By the time I had gotten out to the shed she was already dry, safe, and warm. The next female arrived at 11:21 pm.  She never really labored hard, and appeared to be fairly comfortable throughout the delivery.  Lady number 3 was born at 1:30 am and quickly followed by her first brother at 1:42 am and another sister at 1:50 am.  At 2:45 she had another female, and at this point I was starting to wonder if Belle's genetics were coming out in her.  Belle always had 7 females!   Finally the 2nd male was born at 3:27 am with the final female following close behind at 3:44 am.   At 4:24 her delivery was complete with one last male at 4:24 am.   The pups were very feisty from the moment they hit the ground. I couldn't believe how well the latched on, and started nursing.   It was a long restless night with no sleep, but in the end it was well worth it!  With 5 children of our own Robyn and I don't have too many moments where it's just the two of us and it was a fun night sitting up and anxiously watching the arrival of our newest pups and talking without one of the kids screaming in the background "mom, I need you!"  Hope you all enjoy the pictures!